Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Grandma sunning baby with Jaundice


I was on my way to my usual Sunday morning Tai Chi class at Clementi Community Club when I caught sight of this lady sunning her grandchild at the foot of a HDB flat nearby. It was 9.30am and out in the open. I was concerned that baby may be over exposed to the sunlight, so have I to kaypoh (singlish for busybody) as I always am. I casually remarked "baby having Jaundice huh?". And then I asked the lady if she may be over-exposing baby avoiding sounding too intrusive. She replied that because of overcast sky earlier in the morning the sun wasn't shinning.

It common practice among many Singaporeans to sun baby with Jaundice. In fact our elders recommends a little morning sun helps keep Jaundice away; and that what we did for our daughter when she was a baby. We took care to exposed only very short duration in early morning sun that shine through the window. I read with great surprise when I goggled on this subject to find on SingHealth website (http://www.singhealth.com.sg/PatientCare/ConditionsAndTreatments/Pages/Jaundice%28Baby%29.aspx) that such a practice is NOT recommended.

What's your experience with your children?

2 comments:

  1. frankie, i think asians, especially chinese, are more prone to jaundice. maybe it is because the adults don't get exposed (to sunlight) enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yg, perhaps you are right. I remember most babies of my relatives and friends do suffer from Jaundice to a certain degree.

    ReplyDelete